Otolaryngology and Communications Sciences
Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Respiratory Epithelia Electrophysiology Calculator
- Respiratory physiology and the treatment of respiratory diseases;
- Application of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to quantify respiratory airflow and its role in the pathophysiology of respiratory diseases, such as nasal obstruction, obstructive sleep apnea, chronic sinusitis, and subglottic stenosis;
- Virtual surgery planning to improve surgical outcomes for patients with nasal airway obstruction;
- Optimizing the properties of inhaled medications (sprays, nebulizers, inhalers) to maximize the dose delivered to specific sites in the respiratory tract (e.g., paranasal sinuses, vocal folds);
- Systems biology;
- Mathematical models of ion transport in respiratory epithelia to understand airway surface liquid (ASL) regulation, and particularly ASL dehydration in cystic fibrosis (CF) patients.
- Ph.D., 2005, Physics, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- M.S., 2001, Physics, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- B.S., 1999, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Selected recent publications
Garcia GJ, Hariri BM, Patel RG, Rhee JS, "The relationship between nasal resistance to airflow and the airspace minimal cross-sectional area," J Biomech, 2016 Jun 14;49(9):1670-8.
Dayal A, Rhee JS, Garcia GJ, "Impact of Middle versus Inferior Total Turbinectomy on Nasal Aerodynamics," Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2016 May 10, pii: 0194599816644915. [Epub ahead of print]
Garcia GJ, Schroeter JD, Kimbell JS, "Olfactory deposition of inhaled nanoparticles in humans," Inhal Toxicol, 2015;27(8):394-403.
Hariri BM, Rhee JS, Garcia GJ, "Identifying patients who may benefit from inferior turbinate reduction using computer simulations," Laryngoscope, 2015 Dec;125(12):2635-41.
Garcia GJ, Boucher RC, Elston TC, " Biophysical model of ion transport across human respiratory epithelia allows quantification of ion permeabilities," Biophys J, 2013 Feb 5;104(3):716-26. PMID: 23442922 PMCID: PMC3566454 02/28/2013
John Rhee (Principal Investigator), Guilherme Garcia (Co-Investigator), Julia Kimbell (Co-Investigator), Dennis Frank-Ito (Co-Investigator), Lisa Koenig (Co-Investigator), Purushottam Laud (Co-Investigator), “Creating Virtual Surgery Targets & Methods to Improve Outcomes of Nasal Surgery”, Sponsored by the NIH/NIBIB (September 15, 2014 – June 30, 2018).
Julia Kimbell (Principal Investigator), Guilherme Garcia (Co-Investigator), Dennis Frank-Ito (Co-Investigator), Julie Suman (Co-Investigator), William Bennett (Co-Investigator), John Rhee (Co-Investigator), Brent Senior (Co-Investigator), Adam Zanation (Co-Investigator), et al., “Improving Topical Drug Delivery for Treatment of Chronic Rhinosinusitis”, Sponsored by the NIH/NHLBI (September 15, 2014 – June 30, 2018).
Ranjan Dash (Principal Investigator), Zeljko Bosnjak (Principal Investigator), Amadou Camara (Co-Investigator), Wai-Meng Kwok (Co-Investigator), Guilherme Garcia (Co-Investigator), et al., “Mechanisms of Anesthetics Cardioprotection / Project III: Modeling of Mitochondria and Cell Function in Anesthetic Cardioprotection”, Sponsored by the NIH/NIGMS (March 1, 2015 – February 29, 2020).
Guilherme Garcia (Principal Investigator), Tucker Woodson (Co-Investigator), “Role of pharyngeal compliance in the pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea”, Sponsored by the CTSI of Southeast Wisconsin (April 1, 2014 – March 31, 2016).