Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Molecular and Cellular Physiology
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
- Mathematical modeling and computer simulations of complex physiological systems
- Computational methods and algorithms for experimental data analysis and biosystem identification
- Microcirculatory oxygen and carbon dioxide transport and exchange and acid-base regulation
- Physiologically-based pharmacokinetic modeling and drug transport and metabolism
- Integrated blood-tissue species transport and cellular energy metabolism in cardiac and skeletal muscles
- Mitochondrial Ca2+ and ROS (O2.-, H2O2) homeostasis and cellular electrophysiology in cardiac physiology and pathophysiology
- Analysis of large-scale biochemical networks, protein-protein interaction networks, and gene regulatory networks
- Postdoc, 2006, Computational Biology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
- Postdoc, 2003, Computational Biology, University of Washington, Seattle
- Postdoc, 2000, Biofluid Dynamics, Texas A&M University, College Station
- Ph.D., 2000, Biofluid Dynamics, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India
- M.S., 1991, Mathematics, Utkal University, Orissa, India
Selected recent publications
Pannala VR, Camara AKS, and Dash RK. Modeling the detailed kinetics of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase: Catalytic mechanism and nitric oxide inhibition. J Appl Physiol, 2016.
Ranji M, Salehpour F, Motlagh MM, Sepehr R, Heisner JS, Dash RK, and Camara AKS. Optical cryoimaging reveals a heterogeneous distribution of mitochondrial redox states in the ex vivo guinea pig heart and its alteration during ischemia and reperfusion. J Trans Eng Health Med 4:1800210, 2016.
Blomeyer CA, Bazil JN, Stowe DF, Dash RK, and Camara AKS. Mg2+ differentially regulates two modes of mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake in isolated cardiac mitochondria: Implications for mitochondria Ca2+ sequestration. J Bioenerg Biomemb 48(3):175-178, 2016.
Dash RK, Korman B, and Bassingthwaighte JB. Simple accurate mathematical models of blood HbO2 and HbCO2 dissociation curves at varied physiological conditions – Evaluation and comparison with other mathematical models. Eur J Appl Physiol, 116(1): 97-113, 2016.
Tewari SG, Zhou Y, Otto BJ, Dash RK, Kwok WM, and Beard DA. Markov chain Monte Carlo based analysis of post-translationally modified VDAC gating kinetics. Front Physiol 5:513, 2015.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator), “PPG: Mechanisms of Anesthetic Cardioprotection (Project III: Modeling of Mitochondrial and Cellular Function in Anesthetic Cardioprotection)”, Sponsored by the NIH/NIGMS (March 1, 2015 – February 29, 2020).
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator), “Analyzing the Cardiac Power Grid: Adaptive Responses to Fluctuating Local Demand”, Sponsored by the NIH/NHLBI (September 15, 2015 – May 31, 2020).
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator), “Cations and ROS in Modulating Mitochondrial Function in Normal and Ischemic Hearts”, Sponsored by the NIH/NHLBI (April 1, 2010 – March 31, 2015).
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator), “Database-Enabled Tools for Regulatory Metabolic Networks”, Sponsored by the NSF Biological Database and Informatics (August 1, 2009 – July 31, 2012).
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator), “Computational Modeling of Mitochondrial Energetics”, Sponsored by the AHA National Affiliate (July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2011).