- Ph.D., 2005, Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
- M.S., 2002, Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
- B.S., 1998, Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Medical imaging systems
- Computed tomography
- Image reconstruction
Selected Recent Publications
A. S. Wang, A. Maslowski, T. Wareing, J. Star-Lack, T. G. Schmidt, “A fast, linear Boltzmann transport equation solver for computed tomography dose calculation (Acuros CTD),” Medical Physics, 46 (2), pp. 925–933, 2019. (Editor’s Pick designation)
T. G. Schmidt, R. E. Linderman, M. R. Strampe, T. Y. P. Chui, R. B. Rosen, J. Carroll, “The Utility of Frame Averaging for Automated Algorithms in Analyzing Retinal Vascular Biomarkers in AngioVue OCTA,” Trans. Vis. Sci. Tech., 8 (1):10, 2019.
P. Khobragade*, F. Rupcich, J. Fan, , D. J. Crotty, T. G. Schmidt, “CT automated exposure control using a generalized detectability index,” Medical Physics, 46 (1), pp. 141–151, 2019.
W. Ha, E. Y. Sidky, R. F. Barber, T. G. Schmidt, X. Pan “Estimating the spectrum in computed tomography via Kullback-Leibler divergence constrained optimization,” Medical Physics, 46 (1), pp. 81–92, 2019. (Editor’s Pick designation)
H. Ma*, E. Gros, S. Bagniski, Z. R. Laste, N. M. Kulkarni, D. Okerlund, T. G. Schmidt, " Automated quantification and evaluation of motion artifact on coronary CT angiography images," Medical Physics, 45 (12), pp. 5494–5508, 2018.
- Gilat-Schmidt, Taly (Principal) and Emil Sidky (Co-Principal), " Spectral CT metal artifact correction," Sponsored by National Institutes of Health R01 Grant ( R01EB023968). (May 1, 2019–January 31, 2023).
- Gilat-Schmidt, Taly (Principal) and Star-Lack, Josh (Co-Principal), "Software tool for routine, rapid, patient-specific CT organ dose estimation," Sponsored by National Institutes of Health U01 Grant (1U01EB023822-01). (July 1, 2017–March 31, 2021)
- Gilat-Schmidt, Tal (Principal), "Improved Bolus Tracking for CT Angiography," Sponsored by GE Healthcare. (June 1, 2017–May 31, 2020)
- Gilat-Schmidt, Tal G (Principal), " Next Generation CT Image Quality Metrics," Sponsored by GE Healthcare. (December 1, 2014–May 31, 2017)
- Harris, Gerald F (Principal), Gilat-Schmidt, Tal G (Co-Principal), Schmit, Brian D (Co-Principal), "RERC: Technologies for Children with Orthopaedic Disabilities," Sponsored by NIDRR (National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research). (October 1, 2010–September 30, 2015)
- Gilat-Schmidt, Tal G (Principal), "Advanced Cardiac CT Applications, Improvements to the Autophase Algorithm," Sponsored by GE Healthcare. (January 1, 2013–December 31, 2015)
- Gilat-Schmidt, Tal G (Principal), Sidky, Emil (Co-Principal), Clough, Anne V (Co-Principal), "Advancing energy-resolved CT systems for imaging K-edge contrast agents," Sponsored by National Institutes of Health. (December 15, 2012–December 14, 2015)