Otolaryngology and Communications Sciences
Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Respiratory Epithelia Electrophysiology Calculator
- Respiratory physiology and the treatment of respiratory diseases;
- Application of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to quantify respiratory airflow and its role in the pathophysiology of respiratory diseases, such as nasal obstruction, obstructive sleep apnea, chronic sinusitis, and subglottic stenosis;
- Virtual surgery planning to improve surgical outcomes for patients with nasal airway obstruction;
- Optimizing the properties of inhaled medications (sprays, nebulizers, inhalers) to maximize the dose delivered to specific sites in the respiratory tract (e.g., paranasal sinuses, vocal folds);
- Systems biology;
- Mathematical models of ion transport in respiratory epithelia to understand airway surface liquid (ASL) regulation, and particularly ASL dehydration in cystic fibrosis (CF) patients.
- Ph.D., 2005, Physics, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- M.S., 2001, Physics, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- B.S., 1999, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Selected recent publications
Kimbell J.S., Basu S., Garcia G.J.M., Frank-Ito D.O., Basu S., Lazarow F.B., Su E., Protsenko D.E., Chen Z., Rhee J.S., Wong B.J.F. (2018) “Upper Airway Reconstruction Using Long-Range Optical Coherence Tomography: Effects of Airway Curvature on Airflow Resistance,” Lasers in Surgery & Medicine, in press. DOI: 10.1002/lsm.23005.
Ganjaei K., Soler Z.M., Mappus E., Taylor R., Worley M., Mulligan J., Mattos J.L., Rowan N., Garcia G.J.M., Dubno J., Eckert M., Schlosser R.J. (2018) “Novel radiographic assessment of the cribriform plate,” American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy 32, 175-180.
Lin E.L., Bock J.M., Zdanski C., Kimbell J.S., Garcia G.J.M. (2018) “Relationship between degree of obstruction and airflow limitation in subglottic stenosis,” Laryngoscope 128, 1551-1557.
Derek L Vanhille, Guilherme JM Garcia, Onur Asan, Azadeh AT Borojeni, Dennis O Frank-Ito, Julia S Kimbell, Sachin S Pawar, John S Rhee, “Virtual Surgery for the Nasal Airway: A Preliminary Report on Decision Support and Technology Acceptance,” JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery. 2017
Anthony R Prisco, Alberto Aliseda, Jennifer A Beckman, Nahush A Mokadam, Claudius Mahr, Guilherme JM Garcia, “Impact of LVAD implantation site on ventricular blood stagnation,” Asaio Journal 63 (4), 392-400. 2017
John Rhee (Principal Investigator), Guilherme Garcia (Co-Investigator), Julia Kimbell (Co-Investigator), Dennis Frank-Ito (Co-Investigator), Lisa Koenig (Co-Investigator), Purushottam Laud (Co-Investigator), “Creating Virtual Surgery Targets & Methods to Improve Outcomes of Nasal Surgery”, Sponsored by the NIH/NIBIB (September 15, 2014 – June 30, 2018).
Julia Kimbell (Principal Investigator), Guilherme Garcia (Co-Investigator), Dennis Frank-Ito (Co-Investigator), Julie Suman (Co-Investigator), William Bennett (Co-Investigator), John Rhee (Co-Investigator), Brent Senior (Co-Investigator), Adam Zanation (Co-Investigator), et al., “Improving Topical Drug Delivery for Treatment of Chronic Rhinosinusitis”, Sponsored by the NIH/NHLBI (September 15, 2014 – June 30, 2018).
Ranjan Dash (Principal Investigator), Zeljko Bosnjak (Principal Investigator), Amadou Camara (Co-Investigator), Wai-Meng Kwok (Co-Investigator), Guilherme Garcia (Co-Investigator), et al., “Mechanisms of Anesthetics Cardioprotection / Project III: Modeling of Mitochondria and Cell Function in Anesthetic Cardioprotection”, Sponsored by the NIH/NIGMS (March 1, 2015 – February 29, 2020).
Guilherme Garcia (Principal Investigator), Tucker Woodson (Co-Investigator), “Role of pharyngeal compliance in the pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea”, Sponsored by the CTSI of Southeast Wisconsin (April 1, 2014 – March 31, 2016).