Recent Presentations | Selected Publications
Research at the Sports Medicine Motion Analysis Laboratory seeks to discover mechanisms behind injury, rehabilitation, and performance and apply them to optimize performance in athletes. The SMMA has two major research themes—baseball pitching mechanics and running mechanics—along with various projects involving basketball players and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries.
April 2, 2019: Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin hosts Conversations with Scientists
February 26, 2016: MU-MCW Biomedical Engineering Graduate Seminar Series
Expand all | Collapse all
Publications for Baseball Studies
- Albiero M, Dziuk C, Cross JA. Energy Flow Analysis of Professional and Collegiate Baseball Pitchers. Proceeding of Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society, West Chester, PA, 2020.
- Cross JA, Raasch WG. Biomechanical differences between one-handed and two-handed follow through techniques among professional baseball hitters. Proceeding of International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, 37(1): 312-315, Oxford, OH, 2019.
- Cross JA, Dziuk C, Raasch WG. Comparison of throwing arm mechanics during long-toss throwing and pitching in professional baseball players. Proceeding of International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, 37(1): 288-291, Oxford, OH, 2019.
- Higgins A, Harris GF, Raasch W, Cross JA. Neural Network Prediction of Fastball Velocity in College Baseball Players. Proceeding of International Society of Biomechanics/American Society of Biomechanics, Calgary, Canada, 2019.
- Cross J, Caplinger R, Raasch W. Comparison of Pitching and Long-Toss Kinetics in Professional Baseball Players. Proceeding of Biomedical Engineering Society, p. 95, Minneapolis, MN, 2016.
- Adhithia D, Cross J, Harris G, Raasch W. Elbow and Shoulder Kinetic Model for Baseball Pitching: Implications on Injury Risk. Proceeding of Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society, p. 84-85, Portland, OR, 2015.
Publications for Running Studies
- Saxton J, Fritz J, Dziuk C, Cross JA. Gender Differences of Joint Coordination and Kinetics in Healthy Runners. Proceeding of International Society of Biomechanics/American Society of Biomechanics, Calgary, Canada, 2019.
- Andrews C, Fritz J, Cross J. Validation of Delsys Trigno IMU Sensors for Use in Biomechanical Running Models. Proceeding of Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society, 70-71, Indianapolis, IN, 2018.
Publications for Other Studies
- Fritz JM, Schaefer EK, Kipp K, Harris GF, Cross JA, Vetter CS. A Principal Component Analysis Investigation of Drop Landings for Defining Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury Risk Factors. Journal of the Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium, 2020.
- Kipp K, Hoon K, Cross J, Geiser C. Muscle force contributions to ground reaction force profiles during basketball related tasks. Proceeding of International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, 37(1): 300-303, Oxford, OH, 2019.
- Cross JA, Mocarski M, Ketchum N, Craighead E, Krimmer M, Vetter C. Electromyographic assessment of the shoulder musculature during passive rehabilitation exercises. Proceeding of American Society of Biomechanics, p. 274-275, Rochester, MN, 2018.
View MORE SMMA Publications
Opportunities are available for students looking to participate in sports injury and performance optimization research. See OREC's Student Opportunities page for further details.
View OREC's Student Opportunities