Associate Professor Emerita
View Research Gate Profile
- Post-doctoral, 1991–1992, Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University
- Ph.D., 1991, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S., 1987, Chemical, Bio & Materials Engineering, Arizona State University
- B.S., 1985, Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery
Selected Recent Publications
Silver-Thorn MB, Kempfer J, Schnorenberg AJ, Slavens BA, "Use of a Dynamic Balance System to Quantify Balance of Lower Limb Amputees," Journal of Prosthetics & Orthotics, In Press, Feb. 2017.
Eckman E, Williams MA, Silver-Thorn MB: "An Integrated Model for STEM Teacher Preparation: The Value of a Teaching Co-operative Educational Experience," Journal of STEM Teacher Education, 51(1):71–82, Spring 2016.
Silver-Thorn MB, Lothman J, Miller T, "A North American Consortium on Rehabilitation Engineering and Technology for the Individual," Online J Global Engineering Education, 8(1):1-12, Dec. 2014.
Farmer S, Silver-Thorn MB, Voglewede PA, Beardsley SA:, "Within-Socket Myoelectric Prediction of Continuous Ankle Kinematics for Control of a Powered Transtibial Prosthesis," J Neural Engineering, 11(5), Sept 2014 .
Telwak M, Voglewede P, Silver-Thorn MB, "Determination of Optimal Counter-Mass Location in Active Prostheses for Trans-Femoral Amputees to Replicate Sound Limb Swing," ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 8(4):1–7, 2014.
- MB Silver-Thorn (PI), E Eckman (Co-PI), L van den Kieboom (Co-PI), J Birren (Co-PI), “Integration of Teaching Co-ops in a Master’s of Education Program for STEM Teachers,” Sponsored by NSF Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program. (2017–2022)
- MB Silver-Thorn (PI), J Hubler (Student), “Analysis of Amputee Gait during Indoor and Outdoor Mobility Tasks,” Sponsored by MU Opus College of Engineering Undergraduate Research Program, Fleck Research Fellow. (2017)
- MB Silver-Thorn (PI), J Riebe (Student), B. Slavens (Co-PI), “Evaluation of Energy Expenditure During Geared and Standard Manual Wheelchair Mobility in Patients with Spinal Cord Injury,” Sponsored by MU Opus College of Engineering Undergraduate Research Program. (2017)
- MB Silver-Thorn (PI), D Deltoro (Co-PI), “Investigation of Prosthetic Knee Effects on Running for Transfemoral Amputees,” Sponsored by NIH, Medical College of Wisconsin CTSI, Pilot Translational and Clinical Studies Program Start-up Project Award. (2017)
- MB Silver-Thorn (PI), S Beardsley (Co-PI), P Voglewede (Co-Principal), "Dynamic EMG Control of Powered Below-Knee Prostheses," Sponsored by Opus College of Engineering SEED Program. (2016–2017)