Dr. Brian StemperMarquette University
Zablocki VA Medical Center Neuroscience Research Labs, Research 151, Room 70-D-210MilwaukeeWI53201United States of America(414) 384-2000, ext. firstname.lastname@example.orgGoogle Scholar
Zablocki VA Medical Center Neuroscience Labs
- Ph.D., 2004, Biomedical Engineering, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- B.S., 1998, Biomedical Engineering, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, WI
- Biomechanics of traumatic brain injury
- Biomechanics of spine injury
- Basic biomechanics of the cervical and lumbar spine
- Automotive safety
Selected Recent Publications
Rowson S, Duma SM, Stemper BD, Shah A, Mihalik JP, Harezlak J, Riggen LD, Giza CC, DiFiori J, Brooks A, Guskiewicz K, Campbell D, McGinty J, Svoboda S, Cameron K, Broglio SP, McAllister T, McCrea M., "Correlation of concussion symptom profile with head impact biomechanics: A case for individual-specific injury tolerance", Journal of Neurotrauma (2018).
Stemper BD, Corner BD (2016), "Whiplash associated disorders: Occupant kinematics and neck morphology," Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT), 46(10):834–844.
Stemper BD, Shah AS, Pintar FA, Olsen CM, Budde MD, Glavaski-Joksimovic A, McCrea M, Kurpad, SN (2016), "Prediction of post-concussive behavioral changes in a rodent model based on head rotational acceleration characteristics," Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 44(11):3252–3265.
Stemper BD, Shah AS, Budde MD, Olsen C, Glavaski-Joksimovic A, Kurpad SN, McCrea M, Pintar FA, "Behavioral outcomes differ between rotational acceleration and blast mechanisms of mild traumatic brain injury,"Frontiers in Neurology, Neurotrauma 7:30, Doi: 10.3389/fneur.2016.00031.
Curry WH, Pintar FA, Doan NB, Nguyen HS, Eckardt G, Baisden JL, Maiman DJ, Paskoff GR, Shender BS, Stemper BD (2016), "Lumbar Spine Endplate Fractures: Biomechanical Evaluation and Clinical Considerations through Experimental Induction of Injury," Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 34(6):1084–91, doi: 10.1002/jor.23112.
- McAllister (Principal); McCrea, Michael (Site Principal); Stemper, Brian (Co-Investigator): “Cumulative and persistent intermediate effects of concussion and head impact exposure in CARE Consortium Military Service Academy members and NCAA Athletes.” Sponsored by DOD Army Medical Research Acquisition (January 1, 2018—August 31, 2021 [NCE]).
- Stemper, Brian (Site Principal): “Incapacitation Prediction for Readiness in Expeditionary Domains: an Integrated Computational Tool.” Sponsored by Medical Technology Enterprise Consortium (March 1, 2018—April 25, 2021).
- Wang, Yang (Principal); Stemper, Brian (Co-Investigator): “Longitudinal Evaluation of Changes in Brain Structure & Function after Exposure to Subconcussive Impacts.” Sponsored by the National Institutes of Health Neurological Disorders and Stroke (April 1, 2018—March 31, 2023).
- McAllister (Principal); McCrea, Michael (Site Principal); Stemper, Brian (Co-Investigator): “Service Academy Longitudinal TBI Outcomes Study (SALTOS).” Sponsored by Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (July 1, 2018—June 30, 2022).
- Bartsch, Adam (Principal); Stemper, Brian (Site Principal): “Correlation of Head Impact Exposure in College Athletics with Clinical Changes and Concussion.” Sponsored by USAMRAA (November 1, 2018—October 31, 2021 [NCE]).
- Stemper, Brian (Principal): “Mechanisms of Accumulating Damage from Repetitive Subconcussive Head Impacts in Contact Sports.” Sponsored by Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment (January 1, 2019—June 30, 2021).
- Stemper, Brian (Principal): “FMVSS No. 213 R&R : Updated Frontal Standard Seat Assembly.” Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (September 28, 2019—December 1, 2021).
- Stemper, Brian (Principal): “Determination of factors that influence addiction-related outcomes following brain injury.” Sponsored by Veterans Affairs (VA) Rehabilitation R&D (March 1, 2020—February 28, 2024).
- Yoganandan, Narayan (Principal); Stemper, Brian (Co-Investigator): “Biomedical Investigations Using Human Surrogates for Military Applications.” Sponsored by US Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity (November 9, 2020—November 8, 2021).