Falk Center for Neurorehabilitation Engineering Research
Integrative Neural Engineering & Rehabilitation Laboratory (INERL)
- Ph.D., 1995, Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University
- M.S., 1992, Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University
- B.S., 1988, Biomedical Engineering, Marquette University
- Acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Lung transplantation
- Pulmonary endothelium metabolism, pulmonary hemodynamics
- Computational modeling
- Functional imaging (SPECT, optical)
Selected Recent Publications
Kalinosky BT, Berrios Barillas R, Schmit BD, "Structurofunctional resting-state networks correlate with motor function in chronic stroke," Neuroimage Clin, 2017 Jul 29;16:610–623.
Skinner NP, Kurpad SN, Schmit BD, Tugan Muftuler L, Budde MD, “Rapid in vivo detection of rat spinal cord injury with double-diffusion-encoded magnetic resonance spectroscopy,” Magn Reson Med, 2017 Apr;77(4):1639–1649.
Jirjis MB, Valdez C, Vedantam A, Schmit BD, Kurpad SN, “Diffusion tensor imaging as a biomarker for assessing neuronal stem cell treatments affecting areas distal to the site of spinal cord injury,” J Neurosurg Spine, 2017 Feb;26(2):243–251.
Wu M, Landry JM, Kim J, Schmit BD, Yen SC, McDonald J, Zhang Y, “Repeat Exposure to Leg Swing Perturbations During Treadmill Training Induces Long-Term Retention of Increased Step Length in Human SCI: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Study,” Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 2016 Dec;95(12):911–920.
Walker ER, Hyngstrom AS, Schmit BD, “Influence of visual feedback on dynamic balance control in chronic stroke survivors,” J Biomech, 2016 Mar 21;49(5):698–703.
- Schmit, Brian D. (Principal Investigator), “Dynamic balance training in multiple sclerosis” Sponsored by Greater Milwaukee Foundation. (January 1, 2017–December 31, 2019)
- Schmit, Brian D. (Principal Investigator), “Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need” Sponsored by US Department of Education P200A150271. (September 1, 2015–August 31, 2018)
- Schmit, Brian D. (Co- Investigator), “Optimizing Functional Outcomes of Stroke Survivors through Translational Research” Sponsored by Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin. (December 1, 2015–November 30, 2020)
- Schmit, Brian D. (Co-Investigator), “Diffusion Tensor Imaging of the Injured Spinal Cord,” Sponsored by VA RR&D Merit Review I01 RX001497. (October 1, 2014–September 30, 2018)
- Schmit, Brian D. (Principal Investigator), “Sympathetic-somatomotor coupling in human SCI”, Sponsored by NINDS R01-NS079751. (May 1, 2013–April 30, 2018)