Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering
Founder and Co-Director
NeuroMotor Control Laboratory
- Ph.D., 1998, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S., 1992, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- B.S., 1989, Electrical Engineering, Marquette University
BIEN 3310 Control Systems for Biomedical Engineering—An introduction to the principles of control systems theory for biomedical engineers
BIEN 4220/5220 Embedded Medical Instrumentation—Fundamentals of digital circuit design and analysis and the application to embedded biomedical instrumentation
BIEN 4610/5610 Introduction to Rehabilitation Robotics—Introduction to the fundamentals of robotics as it is applied to rehabilitation engineering with topics such as the analysis and design of robot manipulators, robot configurations, robot kinematics, inverse kinematics, and more
BIEN 4931/5931 Special Topics In BME—Models of Motor Control
BIEN 6931 Special Topics In BME—Computational Models: Perception Action Cognition
VIEW BIEN COURSE CATALOGUE
- Human motor control
- Rehabilitation engineering
- Human psychophysics of sensorimotor adaptation and learning
- Systems identification
- Embedded systems and product development
Selected Recent Publications
Lantagne DD, Mrotek LA, Slick RA, Beardsley SA, Thomas DG, Scheidt RA. (2021) Contributions of implicit and explicit memories to sensorimotor adaptation of movement extent during goal directed reaching. Exp Brain Res. 239: 2445–2459.
Ballardini G, Krueger A, Giannoni P, Marinelli L, Casadio M, Scheidt RA (2021) Effect of short-term exposure to supplemental vibrotactile kinesthetic feedback on goal directed movements after stroke: a proof of concept case series. Sensors Sensors 21: 1519.
Jayasinghe SAL, Sarlegna F, Scheidt RA, Sainburg, RL (2021) Somatosensory deafferentation reveals lateralization of proprioception-based feedforward processes for controlling posture and movement. Current Opinion in Physiology, 19, 141–147.
Jayasinghe SAL, Sarlegna F, Scheidt RA, Sainburg RL (2020) The neural foundations of handedness: Insights from a rare case of deafferentation. Journal of Neurophysiology, 124(1), 259–267.
Shah VA, Casadio M, Scheidt RA, Mrotek LA (2019) Vibration propagation on the skin of the arm. Appl. Sci 9: 4329; DOI:10.3390/app9204329
Iandolo R, Carè M, Shah V, Schiavi S, Bommarito G, Boffa G, Mrotek LA, Giannoni P, Inglese M, Scheidt RA, Casadio M (2019) A two-alternative forced choice method for assessing vibrotactile discrimination thresholds in the lower limb. Somatosensory and Motor Res, 36(2), 162–170
Shah V, Casadio M, Scheidt RA, Mrotek LA (2019) Spatial and temporal influences on discrimination of vibrotactile stimuli on the arm. Exp Brain Res 237: 2075–2086.
Risi N, Shah V, Mrotek LA, Casadio M, Scheidt RA (2019) Supplemental vibrotactile feedback of real-time limb position enhances precision of goal-directed reaching. J Neurophysiol 122: 22–38. DOI:10.1152/jn.00337.2018.
- Scheidt, RA (Principal Investigator); McGuire, J (MPI); "Addressing arm non-use by encouraging idle-time activity during early recovery from stroke.” Sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, R21 (July 1, 2022–June 30, 2024).
- Scheidt, RA (Principal Investigator); Mrotek, LA (Co-PI); “Augmenting kinesthetic feedback to improve hemiparetic arm control after stroke." Sponsored by National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, R15 (Jun 2017–May 2024).
- Scheidt, RA (Principal Investigator); Beardsley, Scott A (Co-PI); Mrotek, LA (Co-PI); Nielson, Kristy (Co-PI); “Neural mechanisms of error correction during manual interception of moving targets.” Sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (September 1, 2021–February 28, 2023).